Sunday's are for misbehaving


When most londoners are asked what is your favourite place in London you tend to expect some niche cafe, or park, or book shop that no one else as heard of and is in some dodgy back ally in shorditch. Because they are just far cooler than you could ever be. Not me. I know I'm not that cool. Personally I think the best place in London is the V&A. Hands down. It's got everything. Beautiful clothes, amazing sculptures, those unbelievably huge plaster casts (how did they get them in the building?!), art, a dressing up box, the beautiful courtyard, and the amazing restaurant. When they hold Lates it is the best bar in London. If they ever built a music room I would be setting a moving-in date. 

So on a quiet Sunday, when my flat mates and they're boyfriends had taken over our flat, I took myself out for a cultural afternoon in South Kensinton. My main reason to visit (other than avoiding being 5th wheel) was to have a look at the current Disobedient Objects exhibition. This has been on for a couple of weeks and I have been meaning to go, but rumours of mile long ques had been putting me off. So with a large coffee and bag of Ben's cookies to keep me going I set off towards the museum. However I didn't get very far as it turns out you can't take coffee into the museum. Take note if you intend to visit. 

After loitering around downing scrtching hot coffe I made it past the very observant security guard and was greeted by a massive neon Disobediant Objects sign. You can only clearly see it when you are standing straight on. Very cleaver. And not a que in sight! My patience had paid off! 

   


If you haven't heard about this exhibition it's about the use of objects in social change. How objects can be used to change the way you view an event, influence people or be used in social uprising to send a message. It starts in the 70's and brings you forward in time to present day. It demonstrates how political activism drives design ingenuity and collective creativity that defy standard definitions of art and design.Most of the objects are home made; everything from giant inflateable cobblestones to a hand decorated pickup truck. People can be quite creative when they need to be. 

At first you are greeted with large banners and posters used in various protests from the last 40 years. 

     


Along with a continually playing video on the back wall. It depicts violent protests from around the world. Showing people who have been blasted with tear gass but still fight on for their cause. It was truly moving to watch. 

One of the more creative pieces was this truck: 

    

Those dolls heads were particularly creepy. The whole thing had been covered in mosaic, which had messages hidden in it. 

    

                            

Here are a couple of my favourite badly behaving objects: 

The poetic umbrella 

                               


Not a great photo, but it says "no matter how hard the rain falls the flowers of democracy will still bloom". Right on man. 



Oxbridge students proving that protesting education cuts doesn't have to be dull: 

                 


Yeah me too. Oh wait, I'd need a boyfriend first. Outwitted by Oxbridge again. 

Clearly students make the best protestors making signs like these. 

                              

That cleaver cookie drew his Penguin book on a giant cushion to defend himself against the riot police. 


Personally I don't love the gorilla look but I guess some women can pull it off. Especially when arguing that woman should be more equally represented in traditional art galleries (this is for the Met in New York) rather than just being the naked models. 

    



I don't want to spoil the exhibition, so I recommend you head along for yourselves and take a look. It's a great - free - afternoon out. And any time spent in the V&A is time well spent. 

It almost makes a girl want to protest. 

Comments

Popular Posts